From Lupyan Lab
Language and Grammatical Quirks
Lexicon Valley Podcast
- What is grammatical gender? How is it related to biological gender?
- What is one possible function of grammatical gender
- How can grammatical gender influence memory? Perceived similarity?
- What is the advantage of testing bilinguals (e.g., German-English and Spanish-English speakers). Why might you want to test them in English if what you are interested in is the effect of Spanish or German grammatical gender on people’s concepts?
- What is a classifier? What is different between classifier languages and English in terms of quantifying objects or substance?
- In this visual search task, how did Mandarin-speaking participants do compared to the other groups? How is their performance interpreted by the author?
- What does the author mean that using classifiers in this task would put Mandarin participants at a strategic disadvantage?