Concepts: what are they and what are they for?
Readings: Goldstone et al. (2012)
Goldstone et. al. (2012)
- Be familiar with the terms concept, category, and equivalence class.
- How do concepts help creative thought, inductive prediction, communication and promote cognitive economy?
- What is the evidence for and against concepts being represented as sets of rules?
- Be familiar with the terms “prototype” and “exemplar”
- What is the explanation given for “the frequent inability of human generalization to transcend superficial similarities”?
- What is categorical perception?
- How do concepts influence perception? How does perception influence concept formation?
- What is some of the evidence Goldstone cites for how language can influence concepts?